Lectures and Readings
Miller Theatre is not available for weddings, religious services, fundraising events, partisan political or campaign events, receptions, performances requiring elaborate sets, or extended multi-day events.
Uniquely sized venue on Columbia’s Campus
Miller’s 688-seat proscenium-style theater is designed to support an eclectic mix of artistic and academic programming.
Professional Production and Front of House Staff
Theater technicians, lighting, video, sound, and stage managers are all experienced professionals.
Box Office Services
Online and in-person box office, including ticket scanning.
Located on the Morningside campus at 116th street, easily accessible by subway.
Private Green Room and Dressing Rooms
Exclusive access to the Green Room and two dressing rooms, accommodating up to 15 people in each space.
No hidden fees
Quoted rates include all tech costs with no hidden fees.
Policies and Additional Details
- The calendar opens on June 1 for scheduling of events during the following academic year (September through May).
- Scheduling priority is given to Columbia University events.
- The calendar fills quickly; plan at least 3 months in advance for best date availability.
- For the purposes of reserving Miller Theatre, “Columbia University Affiliate” is defined as any School, Department, or Center of Columbia University
- Events must further the educational or research mission of the University
- Use of Miller Theatre will incorporate all University Event Management Policies as outlined in the University Event Policy
- A representative from the Sponsoring School, Department, or Center must be designated as the “Event Producer.” This person will serve as the primary planner, sponsor, and contact for the event, and will accept full responsibility for decision-making at all stages of planning and execution of the event.
- The Event Sponsor must have approved access to a valid University chart string and take fiscal responsibility for event costs.
- The Event Producer will be the only person authorized to approve decisions that change the scope and cost of the event.
- The Event Producer must be on-site whenever the theater is in use.
- Recognized Student Groups must apply to reserve Miller Theatre through their Student Group Advisor.
- For Recognized Student Groups, the Event Producer is the group’s SDA Advisor; for non-recognized groups, the event must be sponsored by a School, Department, or Center. Please note that the event producer must be on-site whenever the theater is in use. (See Event Producer Policy, above.)
- Use of Miller Theatre by Recognized Student Groups will incorporate all University Policies and Procedures as outlined in the University Student Group Event Policy and Procedure.
- Deposit payments are non-refundable.
- Any cancellations within 30 days of the event must be paid in full.
Non-University Affiliates must obtain and provide proof of the following insurance coverage in order to rent Miller Theatre:
- Comprehensive or Commercial General Liability insurance ($3M per occurrence)
- Automobile Liability insurance ($1M per occurrence)
- Worker’s Compensation and Employer’s Liability insurance
- Risk property damage insurance covering all property owned or rented by you
Miller Theatre provides two different levels of box office service depending on your needs:
- FULL BOX OFFICE SERVICE Includes ticket setup and printing; online sales; up to two weeks of advance sales by phone and in person; and walk-up sales and will-call on the day of the event. Additional consultation and services are subject to an hourly fee. This service is required for all Event Producers who wish to sell tickets and for all Reserved Seating Events.
- TICKET PRINTING ONLY Includes ticket setup and printing for General Admission events only. The Event Producer will be responsible for the distribution of all event tickets, including walk-up distribution and will-call on the day of the event.
Miller Theatre’s Box Office is open from Wednesday-Friday, 2-6 PM during the fall and spring semesters. The box office can open two hours prior to the event start time and remain open through intermission. If there is no intermission, the box office will close one hour after the start of the performance.
- Events meeting certain criteria may require logistical support from Columbia University Public Safety; this requirement will be implemented at Columbia University’s sole discretion.
- If applicable, an estimate of additional expenses for Public Safety support will be shared prior to being incurred.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited in all campus buildings.
- Food and beverages are not permitted.
- Balloons are not permitted.